Summer Camp 2018 offers students the opportunity to experience and to investigate how architecture design can contribute to the development of sustainable design in a remote village. The integrative approach combines ideas on off-grid and sustainable strategies using local materials with appropriate implementation of technologies. This strategy will be executed through a review of environmental problems arising from the existing condition of Dusun Cisoka. The solution of the environmental problems can be solved by the development and establishment of infrastructure management system that create an independent and sustainable rural environment.
As one of the hamlet that located within Citengah Village, Cisoka which has around 30 households, possesses several potentials and limitations that can be subjects of study and implementation through collaboration with Architecture Study Program of ITB.
Some of Cisoka’s and its surroundings’ potentials are:
- Being located at 1100 masl, Cisoka is a suitable ground for tea and Arabica coffee cultivation
- Has beautiful panorama of hills and forests which still remain natural
- The forests which located nearby produce Albasia Wood, Bamboo, Ijuk and the river has volcanic river stone which usually used by local inhabitant for basic materials for construction
- Surrounded by several natural and man-made tourist attractions that are still being developed, includes waterfalls, Japan’s relic cave, Java Eagle Immigration Area, Off-Road Track, Water Tubing at some of the rivers, Tea-walk, and many more.
- The hamlet is oftentimes visited by students to initiate an environmental and adventure activity, it is also an off-road track from Limbangan Village,Garut to Sumedang.
However, besides its potentials, Cisoka still has several limitations which are:
- Cisoka still lacks proper electricity that commonly runs from PLN, even though Cisoka only 10km away from Citengah Village which already has it. For now, to produce electricity, the local inhabitants are using small diesel generator and photovoltaic panels which mostly not working well.
- The path towards Cisoka from Citengah Village mostly ruined hindering transportation flow
- Cisoka has not had any proper clean water distribution and management. It has several sources of natural water from the mountain but has not been utilized effectively. In addition, the water sanitation has not met the standard as well.
- The local inhabitants still incapable of developing Cisoka’s potentials to the most as they do not have any capacity, for instance, to produce tea or coffee beans, farming or other kinds of natural resources for their well-being by themselves.
Based on the discussion with Head of Citengah Village on 10 April 2016, Architecture Study Program of ITB and Head of Citengah Village has the same concern and agreed to cooperate in establishing a gradual and planned collaboration that could make a direct impact to the society. Particularly, for Cisoka local inhabitant, the contribution from Architecture Study Program of ITB, including knowledge sharing and direct engagement will accelerate Cisoka’s development. Furthermore, the collaboration also will accommodate the researchers and students to implement the fruit of their study, for instance, research, prototype, methods directly in the area. The collaboration is expected to be a field lab that situated in the village which could cultivate other researchers that could be benefiting the society directly.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Lectures will be held during the first week of the program and given by prominent speakers, including:
Dr.-Ing. Andry Widyowijatnoko ST, MT | Architecture – Institut Teknologi Bandung
Dr. Eng. Mochamad Donny Koerniawan ST,MT | Architecture – Institut Teknologi Bandung
Dr. Delik Hudalah ST, MT, M.Sc. | Planning – Institut Teknologi Bandung
Dr. Ir. Dwina Roosmini MS | Environmental Engineering – Institut Teknologi Bandung
Regional Development Planning Board West Java (BAPPEDA)
Regional Natural Conservation Agency West Java (BKSDA)
Summercamp 2018 program consist of Lectures, Studio Workshop, and Field workshop. Lectures will give the participant the background and brief knowledge regarding the Cisoka. Studio workshop will consist of 3 group which each will have different problem to solve. Both will be held in Institut Teknologi Bandung. Field workshop will be held in the Cisoka village where a shelter will be built and mapping will be held.
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4|
|Opening & Workshop||Lectures and Workshop||Lectures and Workshop||Pin Up, Technical Meeting|
|Day 5||Day 6||Day 7||Day 8||Day 9||Day 10||Day 11|
|Mobilization Bandung – Cisoka (Sumedang)||Field Workshop, Construction||Field Workshop, Construction||Field Workshop, Construction||Field Workshop, Construction||Refreshing, Outbond||Closing, Mobilization Cisoka (Sumedang) – Bandung|
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Adhitya Rizky Isnandya
Architecture Program, Institut Teknologi Bandung
Phone : +62 813 2145 6769